Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Best Ever Chocolate Frosting

Now personally, I've never found a homemade chocolate frosting I love. Some are good here and there, but I haven't found the perfect one...till today. And you know it's gotta be good because it comes from our friends over at Our Best Bites. This is the definition of what a chocolate frosting should be. Deep, dark chocolate flavor and smooth, airy texture. It's basically a whipped ganache which makes it the epitome of chocolate flavor. It does take a bit to make, but oh boy is it worth it!


16 oz semi sweet chocolate chips

1 stick (8T) butter

1/3 cup granuated sugar

2 T light corn syrup (I used honey)

2 t vanilla

1/4 t salt

1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream


Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan containing 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. Meanwhile heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until melted. Increase heat to medium, add sugar, corn syrup (or honey), vanilla and salt and stir with rubber spatula until the sugar is dissolved, about 4-5 minutes. Add melted chocolate, butter mixture, and cream to a clean bowl of a stand mixer and stir to thoroughly combine.


Place mixer bowl over and ice bath and stir mixture constantly with a rubber spatula until frostin is thick and just beginning to harden against the sides of the bowl, about 1-2 minutes (frosting should be cooled and aroun 70 degrees.) Place bowl on stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed until frosting is light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Stir with rubber spatula until completely smooth.


*If you find that after beating, your frostin is still too soft for your liking, chill in the fridge until it sets up a little more. I ended up stiring the frosting in the ice bath for a little longer than they said, until it was cold to the touch and thick, before I started whipping it. I feel like I got a great consistency from this and it definitely wasn't too soft. It was perfect...this recipe is perfection!





1 comment:

  1. I just made this cake the other day! I have to say it is the best chocolate cake and frosting I've ever had. It tastes the way you hope every chocolate cake will taste when you note into it. And it's funny because I thought, "I have to tell Miranda to make this cake. I can totally picture her putting it on her blog." HA! I know you too well.

    ReplyDelete