Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Homemade Fudge Rounds






I don't know about you, but I grew up eating these! My mom would pack them in my lunch for our "treat". I bet she knew that I ate it first:) I don't think I've had them since high school, but either way I knew I was up for the challenge to recreate them when I saw them on Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. The cookies are oh so soft and the filling, oh so delicious. Reminisce in the memories of your childhood with a batch of these cookies!




For the Cookies:
1 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda

Heat oven to 350. In a mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each addition. Mix in vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add slowly to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat until combined. Drop spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove baking sheets to cooling racks and remove cookies after a few minutes to continue cooling. While cookies cool, make your filling.

For the Filling:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons buttermilk


In a mixer, beat the shortening and butter on medium speed until smooth and combined. Beat in vanilla. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar and beat on low until just combined. Add buttermilk and beat on medium high for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.

Once cookies have cooled, pipe or spread filling on the flat side of half of them. Gently press another cookie on top of the filling.

For the stripes, microwave 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until smooth. Drizzle or pipe on top of Fudge Rounds. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.

*From Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
* Also check over at Sweet as Sugar Cookies for a TON of delicious desserts!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy, those cookies look so wonderfully chocolaty. I would eat those up in an instant. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just googled fudge round recipes and came across this. I just ate two Little Debbie cookies a few moments ago and wondered about fudge round recipes. I would love to try this someday. Thanks for sharing Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete