Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Auntie’s Spaghetti Sauce

CSC_0895

I’ve been making this for years and years and years. It’s my Auntie Christene’s recipe. I’ve made it so many times I just assume EVERYONE knows it and uses it. It’s the greatest because it make a huge pot of sauce and then can be frozen for later use. I always have some in the freezer for a last minute meal. By having it simmer most of the day, it becomes naturally thick and rich. Eat it by the spoonful good. It’s definitely a staple that should be in everyone’s rotation.

2 lb. ground beef (I’ve used ground turkey and it’s just as delicious)

12 (8oz) cans tomato sauce (I use one huge one from Costco)

2 t. garlic salt

1/2 t pepper

2 T Italian Seasoning

2 T dry minced onion

2 T dry parsley

At the bottom of a large heavy bottom pot, brown meat and add all crushed herbs and seasonings. Stir meat a lot to make meat fine. Simmer 5-7 minutes; drain off fat. Add tomato sauce and lower heat. Simmer at least 2 hours to reduce liquid and sauce becomes thickened. I usually simmer the sauce most of the day. Use what you need for dinner and then freeze the leftovers. I usually freeze it in gallon sized Ziploc bags to save space in my freezer – that way you can stack them flat.

1 comment: