Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake


Happy Valentines Day! I made this today for the hubs. He loves stuff like this...me on the other hand - I think it's blasphemous to mix a fruit with a decadent chocolate dessert like this. I tried it even though I vowed not too and I have to give it props...it delivered!! It was exceptionally tasty and rich beyond your wildest dreams. If you're looking for a beautiful, impressive dessert, look no further because there isn't going to be anything better than this.

1 1/2 cups crushed chocolate cookie crumbs (I used Chocolate Cream Oreos...I definitely recommend doing these instead of original Oreos)
3 T sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 (10oz) package frozen raspberries
2 T sugar
3 t cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I only use Guittard)
1/2 cup half and half (I actually just used 2% milk and it turned out fine)
3 (8oz) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 t vanilla

In a medium bowl, mix together cookie crumbs, 3 T sugar, and melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch sprinform pan.

In a saucepan, combine raspberries, 2 T sugar, corstarch and water. Bring to a boil, and continue boiling for 5 mintues or until sauce is thick. Strain sauce through a mesh strainer to remove seeds if you desire (I didn't do this and I though it was fine.)

In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla and melted chocolate chips. Pour half of the batter over the crust. Spread half of the raspberry mixture over batter and then top with remaining cheesecake batter. Swirl batter with a knife to create a marbled effect.

Place in oven on the center rack. On another rack underneath the cheesecake place a dish of simmering water, Bake for 60 minutes, or until filling is set. Turn oven off and crack the door open. Leave cheesecake in the oven for at least 2 hours like this. Remove and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight before removing from pan. Top with remaining raspberry sauce and reserve raspberries.

*Adapted from Allrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment