Sunday, September 19, 2010

Chocolate and Caramel Apple Pie Galette

Found this gem on Picky Palate. I have to admit that I'm definitely not a huge fan of fruit desserts, but sometimes I can squeeze in an apple pie here and there if I'm in the mood and it looks oh so delicious. This was one of those times. The truth? Because this recipe requires Rolos sprinkled on top. I LOVE recipes that are twists on old-time classics! Don't judge, but I HAD to pretty much triple the amount of Rolos because I'm just that kind of gal. If I'm going to do something, I'm goin all the way. The apples: so tender. The flavor: so caramely. The end result: perfection.

3 T butter
2 apples, peeled, cored and diced (I prefer Granny Smith)
3 T brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 roll ready made pie crust (I prefer Pillsbury)
15 Rolo caramels, quartered
Caramel sauce
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir for 5 minutes until apples are softened.

Roll out pie dough on baking cookie sheet. Pour apples into center of the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border all the way around. Top with quartered Rolos. Take edges and fold over to make a pleated edge.

Bake for 30-35 minutes (I went the full 35, maybe even a few min longer) until edges are golden brown. Remove and cool. Drizzle with caramel sauce and dust with powdered sugar. I like to eat it about 10 minutes after it's been out of the oven when it's still warm, but not scalding hot - of course topped with a scoop of ice cream :)

*From Picky Palate

No comments:

Post a Comment