Monday, March 23, 2009

Onion Strings



1 large onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Canola Oil

Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tab to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown. Repeat until onions are gone. Eat before your family sees them. Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.
*These are SUPER good! I got all fat and happy eating them and then almost puked because I ate too much. We ate them on burgers with some BBQ sauce and ranch dressing...there really is no other way. I also didn't have Cayenne Pepper, so I used chili powder. Oh Bessy...these are my new favorite!!!! Next time I would definitely half the recipe because there's only 2 of us...it makes a TON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment