For the brownie bottom:
8 oz. (about 1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate - either bars or chocolate chips
2 sticks butter
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
4 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
For the cheesecake layer:
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
6 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups (one 12-ounce package) semisweet chocolate chips
Before you start:
Position a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter a 9×13-inch pan. Line the pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
To make the brownies:
1. In the top of a double boiler over simmering, not boiling water, melt the chocolate and the butter, stirring to combine. Set aside to cool to warm.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
4. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and combine with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate/egg mixture and stir until just combined. Pour the brownie better into the prepared pan, and spread evenly.
To make the cheesecake layer:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese, sugar, and the salt until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 2 at a time, and mix well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Stir in the vanilla.
To complete the brownies:
1. Pour the cheesecake mixture over the brownie layer. Sprinkle the chocolate chops evenly over the cheesecake layer.
2. Bake for about 1 hour, or until lightly golden. You don't want to over-cook the brownies because they can become dry on the bottom. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely before slicing and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. May be served cold or at room temperature.*Adapted from Dinner & Dessert